In just under 6 months I’ll be turning 29; I have a year and a half before I say goodbye to my 20’s forever. It’s been an amazing 8 and a half years. I became an RN and have had every professional development of my career thus far in my 20’s. I got an associates degree. I got a bachelors degree. I’ve been in love and had my heart broken several times with different people, all of whom I’m grateful for for everything they taught me and helped me experience. I bought a new car, I became a home owner. I ended a relationship with someone I’d dreamed of being with since I was 17. I had unexplained hives for a year and went through the most emotionally challenging experience of my life in the fall of 2016. I’ve grown up so much. I met Hunter. I’ve read amazing books and had new experiences that have changed the way I feel and think about so many things…. but I can’t really say I’ve taken good care of myself.
I’ve barely ever cooked my own meals. I started drinking alcohol on a regular basis. I reached my heaviest weight of 160 lbs. I gave up all regular physical activities. I haven’t made a ton of meaningful relationships outside of boyfriends and I’ve spent an unbelievably unhealthy amount of time on Facebook. I’ve gotten myself into a financial mess and at different points have barely been able to keep my head above water.
I don’t want to start my 30’s that way.
I know I have the ability to control most aspects of my life that I’m unhappy with. I know my laziness and complacency are responsible for most, if not all, of the suffering in my life. I know I tell myself over and over again that I want to be this way or that way but then never put any consistent time or effort into changing.
That has to stop. I have to give a fuck enough about myself to not just slip into mediocrity. Nothing is going to just get better, I’m not going to just get better, I’m going to get worse. Everything will only get worse and worse if I sit passively by and never do the hard things.
With all that in mind, here are my goals for the next six months. I’ve already started on some.
- Be The Hero – Don’t define myself by my past failures. What would the hero of my life’s movie do now? Do That.
- Complete 80-Day Obsession – I have one more workout left in Phase 1 and then I’m already a third of the way through the program. I’ve never stuck with something this long before, and nobody has been helping me, I’ve just been self motivating and doing it even when I don’t want to. I’ll be done the first Saturday of August.
- Stay off Facebook – I’m quitting Facebook until my birthday. I spend too much time on it and can 100% say I’m addicted to it and use it to fill up my spare time instead of being productive. There are too many things I want to do and learn to waste any more of my time there anymore.
- Pay off Credit Card Debt – see my #fixfinances progress post for more details.
- Complete Insanity – When I first started 80 Day Obsession my roommate Carissa originally said she would do it with me and I said “Hey, when we’re done 80 day obsession we’ll be used to working out every day and we’ll have a much better baseline fitness level, we should take a week off and then start Insanity”. She was down but then ended up not doing the 80 day program with me much at all. Now that I’m a third of the way through the 80 day’s I’ve been thinking about it and I don’t see why I shouldn’t stick with that plan. If I can work out for an hour each day, 6 days a week for 80 days, I can work out for an hour each day, 7 days a week, for 60 days. Plus I’ve done the first 3 weeks of Insanity before, I know that program. I can do it. It’s all about will power.
- Cook – if I’m going to have the healthy lifestyle I want and to be in control of what I consume I have to cook. Since I won’t be wasting so much time on facebook now I can spend more time meal prepping and trying different recipes. I know that will make Hunter really happy too.
- Get CFRN Certified – I’m smarter than I give myself credit for. I know I can get this certification and it’s required by my job (as of now… maybe not soon though…we’ll see I guess), but it does nothing but make me look better and I already have the materials. Less time scrolling, more time being better at my profession.
- Get 10% Better – All I’ve seen on workout sites and IG’s is people posting “a one hour workout is only about 4% of your entire day!!!”. I think I deserve to spend at least 10% of my day on myself. I can spend 90% doing whatever else I have to do, but 10% of my day should be for making myself better. 10% becoming stronger, smarter, happier, healthier, etc. So if I spend an hour working out, I should spend an hour and a half practicing a new skill,cooking, drawing, painting, climbing, learning braids, studying for CFRN, meditating, meal prepping, listening to educational material, making jewelery, taking a skillshare class, going to yoga, lifting in the garage, stretching in the sauna, etc. Be 10% better each day.
I’m sure I’ll think of more, but for now that’s enough to start on. 172 days until 29. Let’s see what I can do.
1. Set goals for myself to focus on & made a plan. Decided I’m not wasting my life on Facebook anymore.
2. Completed day 25.
3. Did my last post on Facebook until November, stating my intentions and goals.
4. Made a $1300 payment to my credit card.
6. Stopped at Safeway and got ingredients to try a new recipe for dinner and food for the week.
7. Started studying yesterday – will do some questions today after the gym.
8. Spent 1 hour working out at home and am going to meet Hunter at the gym for my first two-a-day! I’ll also be trying a new recipe tonight – cauliflower rice & mushroom risotto with steak and scallops in a jalapeno bourbon cream sauce.